Brenda Inman's blog

Union Grove North Carolina

The sky was cloudy, and the wind a bit brisk when I woke in New Hope. The threat of rain hung over us again, though nothing fell that morning. Its easier on the horse when its cool. After Bill made his coffee I got to making breakfast. I used my Colman stove to cook up some bacon, eggs, and toast. Aside from the hills this was an easy day, as Bill and Blackie only had 8 miles to reach the town of Union Grove, our next stop.

New Hope North Carolina

New Hop, North CarolinaWe made our first stop about 11.5 miles from the Taylorsville Lions Club Fairgrounds. The numerous churches have been great places to stop my rig. There's one about every 10 miles or so and most have large parking lots. Theres no one around Linney's Mill, seems they are closed on Mondays, so we move on.

When we reach the church in New Hope there is a gentlemen mowing the grass. His name is Jimmy; we tell him what we're doing and ask him if he knows who to talk to to get permission to camp. He drives down to Mr. Youngen's house for us and he comes down to see us. We get permission, and that night camp out near a graveyard. We don't see any ghosts.

Bill arrives tired and goes to bed early.  04-21-08

Rutherfordton to Golden Valley NC

Golden Valley CrusadersTuesday morning was sunny and chilly. As we prepared to leave, Lt. Adkins arrived to take us to a place where we can get showers. A good hot shower is always welcome! Back at the church, Bill waited his turn and chatted with some folks. When Jon and I get him to go shower, we saddle Blackie and pickup the panels (Jonny note: gez Bill spent the whole time we where showering talking...). When Bill got back we were ready to go.

Corporal Hardin escorted Bill on this day. The beautiful rolling hills and lush, green vegetation is quite a contrast to the brown landscape we saw in much of the west. We make our lunch stop at Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church. 

Later we find a "Community Club" that we can stay at for the night. We setup our camp. Later that evening Bill and I are invited to a "pick'n and grin'n" with the Golden Valley Crusaders. I got some video of that so hopefully Jon can put something together with that soon.

Tryon to Rutherfordton NC

Shortly after the sheriff stopped, Bill and his mounted escort arrived.Since our first stop in Tyon, we have camped out everyday. We made our way down 108 on to Rutherfordton. Lt. Chris Adkins with the Rutherford County Sheriff's Dept met Jon and I at a gas station at the intersection of Hwy 9 and Hwy 108. The Lt.  and I learned that the mounted patrol was planning to meet up with Bill at the Polk/ Rutherford county line. Bill only stopped for a brief moment; he took off before grabbing a bite to eat. 

We went on ahead. Jon and I waited about 2 miles out of Rutherfordton. While waiting, Sheriff Jack Conner came by and stopped to chat for a minute. He contacted the press for us and let them know about our journey. Bill and Blackie had some food and drink before the group continued on to town. Lt. Adkins, who is also captain of the S.W.A.T. team, found a place for us to camp at the Southern Baptist Church. Thankfully water and electricity where available there, allowing us to replenish our tanks and run a heater. 

Sunday Ride to Tryon DC Ride

Brendas familySunday, the 13th of April, turned out to be a beautiful day for a ride, despite all of the weather forecasts calling for rain. When we arrived at our Starting point, Schroader's Honda, there were a few hardy souls who turned out to see us off. We were especially pleased to see Billy Cannon there.

All of my aunts were there to see us off along with a few of our new friends. Larry and Cheryl rode with Bill down the mountian. They were escorted by Dottie,and law enforcement officers from Henderson and Polk county. Jon and I made our first stop in Saluda. By chance, Mrs. Arrington, a member of the Pisgah Trail Riders was in her realty office, right next to where we stopped! She came out to see us and chat for a few minutes.

When the riders arrived with their escort, M. Snipes, of the Saluda Police Department,  Mayor Rodney Gibson came to greet us. Bill had to replace a coulpe of loose nails on a shoe on Cheryl's horse. We had a light lunch and then they rode on to Harmon Field in Tryon.

Journey to Washington DC Update The National Memorial Day Parade

The situation is already changing as we prepare to set off once again. Our arrival in Washington DC will be close to the date of The National Memorial Day Parade. As Bill is a Gulf War Veteran it seems natural that he should ride Blackie in the parade.

Bill contacted the American Veterans Center and they expressed enthusiasm in his interest to participate. Right now Bill and Brenda are working on filling out the application to be in the parade, so we don't know for sure if it will happen.

The person he talked to on the phone also suggested an additional mission: to receive letters of thanks and gratitude to be delivered to Vets.

Best Bar None Ranch Georgia Spring Works Gallery

Beautiful sun set on the Best Bar None RanchThe icon of the America cowboy represents a time when our country was rapidly expanding. These free spirits were hard working, determined individuals. The Americans of their time expanded our country through hard work and determination.

The spirit of the America cowboy is still alive and strong even here in eastern United States. Everyday day American men and women work hard to provide for their families. Though times have changed, our spirits have not. With hard work and determination we will remain strong.

Tigers Savors

Tigers SavorsUpdate: Pictures here.

Our dog Tiger went missing about a week ago during a storm here in North, Carolina. Usually she is fine outside if there isn't to many distracting things. The night she got lost though a late night storm came through. Tiger is deathly afraid of thunder and lighting and so, I believe she panicked while hopping around (she has three legs) in the woods. She was found nearly eight miles away by Julie and Leyla Metin.

Bill and Brenda Renew their Vows

On Monday, December 31, 2007 Bill and I renewed our wedding vows. This was a special occasion for us. We were pleased to be able to do this in the exact same place we did in 1980. The folks at Overholdt's Hardware store were kind enough to keep the store open late for us that day. Some of our family, and the friends we made in Tennessee attended. We appreciate all of your support in our journey. Without folks like you this would not have been possible.

At this writing I am sitting in a cabin in Hot Springs NC. No, it's not fancy. It doesn't even have a restroom inside. There are three bunks that will sleep maybe 5 people. There are 4 of us sharing the cabin now. We have limited Internet access which slows our ability to add content to our web site at this time.

We will still be adding data and video's to our web site and I plan to begin serious work on my book as soon as we settle down a little. I will also attempt to spend as much time as possible answering e-mail's. Look for updates to our friends and supporters page. Maybe I can obtain a good enough connection to actually get some work done.

Thanks again for your support and kindness.